The events and lectures of p_public take place in the city of Chania, Crete, Greece
The suggested points-places for the events, are the following:
Municipal Market and North Stair of Municipal Market (Tsouderon str.), Square at Nikiforou Episkopou str., Venetian Church of St. Irene, Church of St. Rocco, 1821 Square (Splantzia), Underground Fountain of Splantzia, Convento of St. Nicholas, Square at Sifaka and Rianou str., Square at Daidalou and Gerasimou str., Santa Lucia Rampart, Sabbionara Gate, Mocenigo Rampart, Rampart of “Aghios Nikolaos tou Molou”, Docks of Venetian Harbor, Urban Void next to Giali Tzamisi, Firkas Fortress, Lando Rampart, Chapel Renier, Archaeogical Museum Garden, Catholic Church, Athinagora Square (Trimartiri) etc
View Προτεινόμενα Σημεία/ Suggested Spots in a larger map
Chania is a coastal city in northwestern Crete. Is the location in which the Minoans built “Cydonia”. Excavations in various districts, as Kastelli, revealed that the area was inhabited since the Neolithic era.
The first Byzantine period lasted from 395 until 824 AD. During the Arab rule that followed, the city was called Al Hanim. The second Byzantine period lasted from 961 until 1204 AD and the city’s name was changed to Chania.
After the Fourth Crusade (1204 AD) and the fall of the Byzantine domination, in the city prevailed Venetians and Genoese conquerors. The contact with Venice helped the two cultures to interfere, without the Cretans losing their Hellenochristian traditions. The city’s name was changed to La Canea and the Byzantine fortifications strengthened, giving Chania their current form. Chania, during this period, contained a mixture of Byzantine, Venetian and Classical Greek culture.
However, the walls failed to prevent the Ottomans from capturing the city in 1645.
In 1898, during the last movements for independence and union with Greece, the Great Powers made Chania the capital of the semi-autonomous Cretan State. The city ceased to be a remote vilayet of the Ottoman Empire and became cosmopolitan, gaining its role as a crossroad of European and Eastern cultures. Many important buildings were built during this period, mainly in street Nearchou and the suburb of Halepa, where the consulates of the Protecting Powers were.
There are many theories regarding the etymology of the city’s name. The name Chania comes possibly from a corruption of the name Chthonic, who was one of the ancient names of Crete. According to another version, is derived from the Arabic Hani or from the “Alchania kome” (suburb or neighborhood of Cydonia).